What is a Blog Post?
A blog post is a short piece of writing published on a blogging site. It can be as long as you like, but a short, snappy and easily-digestible post works best. Most business people haven’t the time or the desire to regularly read blogs, so keep your posts short and memorable.
Lead Generation and SEO
Blogs are a great tool for SEO. In each blog post, one or two keywords and their variations should be scattered throughout the content.
You need to be careful to ensure keywords sound natural in your sentences. You can’t just stick a keyword in every sentence or Google will penalise you—and readers will disappear because it reads awfully.
For SEO benefits, your blog needs to be linked to your company’s website or, ideally, be a part of the site.
Keyword Focus and Tone
Each blog post should focus on a specific keyword and have a conversational, friendly tone. Telling a story or an anecdote and adding metaphors or analogies are all good ways to focus your blog post and heighten engagement. It also helps to be somewhat controversial or to take a unique stand on an issue.
What to Write About?
In terms of finding something to write about, you can take content from any company copy you have, such as newsletters or reports, and rewrite it in this less formal medium. This will take the pressure off creating new and interesting content every time you come to post—rewriting is a much easier and quicker way.
Blog posts are intended to increase traffic to your website and they should also direct potential customers to where they can find more information—so definitely include links.
Typically these would be to your main web site, where a visitor can read more, or ideally, download a White Paper.
We call this the ‘call to action’ element. You want people to react as a result of reading your post.
This is B2B marketing after all, not just a chance for you to vent your spleen (although it can be great for that too…)
Summary of Key Tips for Creating Blog Posts:
- Create an intriguing and relevant headline
- Have a punchy opening line—first impressions matter!
- Use relevant keywords throughout the post
- Be opinionated and tell it like it is
- Keep it short and sweet
- Use bullet points/numbered lists
- Proofread and edit before you post—little errors will annoy readers
- Have a consistent style from post to post
- Link to your other sites—primary website, social media profiles etc.
- Link to sites that back up your opinion
- Quality is better than quantity—post when you’ve got something to say
- Invite questions and comments from your readers
- Interact with other bloggers and respond to comments
- Comment on other blogs you read. People may find what you say interesting and want to read more of your stuff, thus visiting your blog as a result
- Try to post consistently, but also give readers a chance to comment and discuss each post as well—finding a balance between posting too little and too often is important
- Use the tags function of your blog to let people know about your topic and other related content
The above tips should have you creating blog posts that aid in lead generation and in building your authority in your field of expertise.